Regulation VIBRAM® Ultra Trail Lago Orta – UTLO 2020
this regulation may be subject to changes, even substantial ones, in accordance with the legal requirements concerning the Covid-19 pandemic still ongoing.
ART 1. GENERAL INFORMATIONS
The UTLO EVENTS s.s.d.r.l. NO067, in partnership with the municipalities of Omegna, Quarna Sotto, Quarna Sopra, Varallo Sesia, Arola, Madonna del Sasso, San Maurizio d’Opaglio, Pella, Cesara e Nonio, organizes, on october 17 and 18 2020, the tenth edition of the running event “VIBRAM® Ultra Trail del Lago d’Orta – UTLO”, affiliated with F.I.D.A.L.
ART 2. RACE
On october 17th and 18th the event, that will offer a total of 3 different races, will take place in the countryside surrounding the Orta lake with any weather conditions.
Under the aegis of the F.I.D.A.L., during the event, will take place, running as National Trail Championship 2020 and valid as Regional Trail Championship 2020 (Piedmont F.I.D.A.L. approval 123/trail/2020),
Saturday 17th october 2020
- VIBRAM® UTLO 70km, approx 70 km with about 3800 meters of height gain
ART 3. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
To participate it doesn’t need to have attended to other events, but it does need:
- To be totally aware of the length and the specificity of the event and to be perfectly prepared for it
- To have acquired, prior to the race, a real capacity for self-sufficiency in the mountains which permits the management of problems induced by this type of course, and notably:
- To know how to face, without outside help, climatic conditions which can become very difficult due to the altitude (night, wind, fog, cold, rain or snow)
- To know how to manage, even if one finds oneself isolated, physical or mental problems arising from high fatigue, muscular or joint pain, digestive problems, minor injuries…
- To be fully aware, that it is not the role of the organization to help a runner to overcome these problems
- To be fully aware, that for such an activity in the mountains security depends upon the capacity of the runner to adapt to the problems encountered or envisaged.
In order to partecipate to the VIBRAM® UTLO 70km it will be necessary to have F.I.D.A.L. Membership card or have a valid Runcard, Runcard EPS or Mountain and Trail Runcard.
Participation in one of the races, described in the Art. 2, assumes the acceptance of the present regulation and of the F.I.D.A.L. Regulation, concerning the trail Running races (rules 252), without reserve.
ART 4. AUTONOMY
Autonomy is defined as having the capacity to be autonomous for the whole race, not only on the food front but also that of clothing and security, being able to adapt oneself in particular to problems encountered or envisaged, like for example: bad weather, physical problems, injuries, etc.
This principle is implicated in the following rules:
- It’s strongly recommended that each runner brings with him, at all time during the race, the equipment listed in the art. 8 of this regulation.
- The refreshment points will supply only liquids. One or more representatives, appointed by the organization, will make them available to the runners. If the refreshment point is in a closed space or if it should be impossible to guarantee the social distance, as prescribed by the regulations in force to prevent the spreading of the Covid-19 pandemic, to have access the runners must mandatorily wear a facial mask.
- Each runners must bring all the food that they consider appropriate for all the race. It won’t be possible to find any solid food in the refreshment points.
- It is forbidden, to be accompanied during all or any part of the race by a person not enrolled.
- It’s mandatory, during all the race, to respect the social distancing, as prescribed by the regulations in force to prevent the spreading of the Covid-19 pandemic.
ART 5. ENROLLMENT CONDITIONS
Entry is open to athletes:
- aged 20 and over
- who are in possession of a valid medical certificate specifically for sports racing activities that doesn’t expires before the 19/10/2019. The non-italian runners must use and fill in the form that they can find here download
- who have F.I.D.A.L. Membership card or have a valid Runcard, Runcard EPS or Mountain and Trail Runcard
Enrollment is online, using WEDOSPORT, filling in the appropriate form.
From 07/09/20 to 28/09/2020 it will be possible to submit a free pre-registration.
The race is subject to a maximum number of runners:
max 300 runners
If, by 28/09/2020, there won’t be any new legal requirements or other kind of obstacle that would stop the progress of the event, the pre-registerd runners will have to complete the registration, from the 29/9/2020 until the 04/10/2020, by paying the fee. Any runners, even if correctly pre-registered, that will fail to submit the payment, before the 05/10/2020, will be left out without any possibility of repechage.
The fee payment is possible with credit card, paypal, mybank, satispay using the online service provided by “WEDOSPORT”
It won’t be possible to pay the fee with a bank transfer.
The registration is personal and final, it’s not allowed exchange of bib numbers or names.
It won’t be possible to change the distance
The postponement of the registration fee to the next edition is not allowed.
Should the event be cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control or connected to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the Organisers, due to the expenses already incurred, won’t be able to guarantee any kind of reimbursement.
ART. 6 REGISTRATION FEES
The UTLO events s.s.d.r.l is a no-profit sport association; The athletes’ registrations fees are contributions made by the participants, to cover organisational costs. These are not payment for services received.
The registration’s fee for the 2020 is:
VIBRAM® UTLO 70km: € 55,00
ART 7. BIB NUMBER PICK UP
Every bib is individually handed to each runner on production of:
- A photographic identity
- A copy of the medical certificate (if not already submitted or sent)
- A copy of the self-declaration for Covid-19 risk, stating that the runner has not tested positive for the Covid-19, that is not subject to quarantine measures, that hasn’t shown any symptom related to Covid-19 and that didn’t have close contact with a confirmed positive case of Covid-19. The form can be found here: download
- if the runner did test positive for Covid-19 and then was deemed recovered, the form to use can be found here: download NB: in this case the date on the medical certificate must be later than the one of the second negative swab
During the registration, each runner must choose a time slot in which pick up his bib.
The time slot reserved during the registration is binding.
Each runner will have to appear, at the bib pick up, at the chosen time wearing a face mask.
Missing the chosen time slot implies the impossibility to partecipate at the event
Before entering the bib pick up area, a body temp check will take place.
If the temp should result over 37,5C°, the runner won’t be able to proceed and will be escorted to the nearest medical facility. If, once confirmed the high temp, the runner refuses to be escorted to the medical facility, his/her personal details will be given to the authorities.
After the check the runner will be able to access at the bib pick up area.
It won’t be possible the bib pick up by proxy.
The race bib must be worn on the chest or the stomach and must be permanently and fully visible throughout the entire race. It must, therefore, always be positioned over any clothing and cannot for any reason be fixed onto the back or a leg (this will allow to speed up the controls during the race). The name and logo of the sponsors must neither be modified, nor hidden.
ART 8. RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
the listed equipment represents the minimum necessary to run safely and that each trail-runner must adapt it according to their needs. Each runner should have, at alla times during the race, at least this equipment.
Recommended equipment 70 Km:
- Mobile phone, insert emergency numbers, keep the phone always on, do not mask the number, check to start with fully charged battery and enough call volume
- Personal drinking cup (at least 15cl).
- Bottles or camel bag, with a water reserve of 1lt (at least)
- Working headlamp with spare batteries.
- Survival blanket / heat-sheet
- long pants or capri pants + socks (to completely cover the legs)
- Solid food reserve enough to feed for the entire race
- Waterproof jacket (like GoreTex) with hood
- Warm clothing (long-sleeved shirt) suitable to face extreme conditions and extreme cold on the mountains (wind, rain, snow)
- Adhesive elastic band, suitable for making a bandage or strapping (min 100 cm x 6 cm)
- Hat, cap or bandana
- Trail / trekking poles
- Spare warm clothing, in case of bad weather conditions or stop for injury
- Little cash (20€)
ART 9. START
Start will take place:
Saturday 17th october 06:00 a.m.
Starting time could change due to availability and organizational needs.
Runners will be informed about any change.
Each runner, approaching the day of the race, must check his e-mail daily.
The runners must be at the starting line wearing their face mask. The mask can be removed only 500 meters after the starting line and the runners must keep it with them for all the race just in case (withdrawal, first aid, access to closed spaces etc.)
ART 10. PATH
The path is mostly on trails and dirty roads.
Competitors must follow the race course without short cuts; race course is marked with signs, red tape, reflective material, red flags or orange paint and will be shown during the briefing. The move away from the official path, as well as result in disqualification, will be at the sole risk and danger of the competitor.
ART 11. ENVIRONMENT
Competitors must behave in a respectful environment, in particular by avoiding dispersing waste, picking flowers or harassing wildlife. Anyone, discovered to thrown waste along the path will be disqualified from the competition and will be subject to the penalties provided for by the municipal regulations.
ART 12. WEATHER
The race will take place in all weather conditions. In the case of particular weather conditions (dense fog, snow or thunder storms), the organization reserves the right to make last-minute changes, even during the race, to the race path in order to eliminate potential hazards or conditions that could cause great hardship for the participants. Any changes will be communicated to the participants and reported to the staff.
ART 13. SAFETY, ASSURANCE, MEDICAL CARE
Throughout the course, will be positioned, at different points, first aid points. These points will be connected by phone or via radio with the race direction; On the course and in Omegna there will be ambulances, civil protection personnel and medical teams until the end of all the events.
Each runner hurt or in trouble, can call the rescue:
- going in person to a first aid or a refreshment during the race
- calling the emergency numbers imprinted on the bib number
- asking another runner to alert the rescue
Each runner that sees people in difficulty must call the emergency number imprinted on the bib and ask for help. Due to the ongoing pandemic he/she can’t directly intervene.
Do not forget that the environmental conditions and the type of event can make you wait for rescue longer than expected. The runner’s safety will then depend on the material that he put in the backpack.
A runner who appeals to a doctor or a rescuer submits himself to his authority and undertakes to comply with his decisions.
All runners must stay on marked trails. The runner, who voluntarily moves away from marked trails, is no longer under the responsibility of the Organization.
The Organization underwrites a third party insurance for the duration of the event.
It is advised that every athlete also take out their own insurance against injuries for the duration of the competition.
Participation is, in any case, under the full responsibility of the athletes, who renounce all recourse against the organisation and the organisation team in case of damage, death and any consequences arising after the race.
For safety reasons, linked to the Covid-19 emergency, be aware that:
- It’won’t be possible to sleep in the gym
- There won’t be changing rooms, showers and bag storage
ART 14. CONTROL AND REFRESHMENT POINTS
Throughout the course there will be unexpected control points, where members of the organization will monitor the passage of the athletes. The passage of the athletes will also be checked at the refreshments points.
Only the runners carrying a visible bib number will have access to the refreshment points.
The race are in semi-autonomy.
Anyway, there will be 5 refreshment points for the 70km.
In any refreshment point will be available only liquids, water and salts.
the refreshment points location will be posted on the website of the event.
ART 15. MAXIMUM TIME
The maximum time to finish the race is:
VIBRAM® UTLO 70km: 18 hours
ART 16. MODIFICATIONS TO THE COURSE, TIMETABLE
The Organization reserves the right to modify at any time and without notice the path or positioning of the rescue and refreshment points.
In case of adverse weather conditions (heavy rains, high risk of thunderstorms, low visibility), without any possibility of complaint, departures can be postponed or canceled, the route may be changed, the time barriers may be changed or the race may be stopped at any point on the track.
The suspension or cancellation of the race will not entitle the athletes to any refund of the registration fee.
ART 17. WITHDRAWALS
Except in case of force majeure, a runner must only abandon at a control/refreshment point. They must alert the head of the point, who will invalidate their bib number.
The runner must keep his invalidated bib number.
The return is decided by the head of the control/refreshment point to the following rules:
- To be able to return to Omegna, runners who dropped out of the race at a withdrawal point can use the service of the organization. Access will be allowed to runners wearing a facial mask and the max number of transported people will be subject to the legal requirements in force to prevent the spreading of the Covid-19 pandemic
- Runners who abandon at another rescue or refreshment point, but whose state of health does not need immediate evacuation must get back as quickly as possible and by their own means to the closest withdrawal point.
- In a refreshment point accessible by organization’s vehicles:
- at the time of the refreshment point closing, the organization can, if there are available vehicles, bring back to Omegna, withdrawn runners still on site.
- in case of adverse weather conditions, that justify the partial suspension or the cancellation of the race, the organization, ensure the return of the runners, to the UTLO Village, in the shortest possible time.
- In case of withdrawal before a control/refreshment point, the runner must go to the nearest control/refreshment point and communicate it to the point leader.
It’ s possibile that, for logistic/organizational needs or to avoid gatherings, the injured or withdrawn runners could wait a while before their transfer to the finish line.
In case of the failure to communicate a withdrawal and the consequent start of the research, the costs, incurred for the search, will be charged to the athlete.
ART 18. PRIZES
There won’t be cash prizes.
Non monetary prizes shall be awarded to the first 5 men and the first 5 women to end the race.
ART 19. COMPLAINTS
Any complaints may be submitted to the Organization of the race by 06:00 PM of Sunday, 18 october 2020, with a deposit of € 50,00 (in cash and non-returnable if the complaint is not accepted). In keeping with the spirit trail, it still expects a full correctness by athletes.
ART 20. WAY MARKERS
To be visible at night, the signs have been fitted with reflective material that reflects the light of the headlamp.
To protect the environment, for the trail marking will be used only removable markers such as ribbons, arrows and ecological paint, that disappears within a few days. It is mandatory to use only the marked trails, no shortcuts, to avoid erosion of the sites.
WARNING: if you can not see, after 300 mt, any more markers, retrace your steps!
ART 21. MEALS
There will be a food service at the end of the competition that will be guaranteed until the last competitor. The cost is included in the registration fee.
In order to access to the food service the athletes must bring and show to the staff their bib numbers.
Access will be allowed only after hand cleansing and wearing a facial mask.
The facial mask must be worn during any movement inside the meal area.
The staff will be in charge of the access flow management.
ART 22. DECLARATION OF RESPONSIBILITY
The runners is entirely responsible for his/her participation in the competition.
By the fact of enrolling he/she releases the Organization from any liability resulting from his/her participation in the event and waives all claims, for damages or losses, against the Organisation, which may arise from the event, even if they result from negligence, and that may occur after the race.
The voluntary enrollment and subsequent participation in the race indicate the full acceptance of these rules and any changes made.
By registering online, in order to complete the registration, the participant subscribes a consent form that releases the organizers from all liability, whether civil or criminal, for damages to persons and / or property caused by him or his derivatives.
The participant commits itself to follow the rules of the Italian traffic law (Decreto Legislativo 30 aprile 1992, n.285) and its and subsequent modifications and integrations and of the FIDAL regulation.
ART 23. IMAGE RIGHTS
- the participants authorize the organization to freely use, without territorial limits of time, still and moving images that portray them when participating in the event.
- Each participant waives the rights to own their image during the event, as well as waives all recourse against the organisation and its partners for the use of his/her image.